Today's post, 30th April 2013, comprises two pictures of jigsaw puzzles featuring major railway stations in London, in steam days naturally.
The first shows a 150-piece wooden jigsaw puzzle titled St Pancras, part of a 'GLEVUM' SERIES of puzzles. According to the Glevum Games website "Glevum Games was the principle trade name used by a firm established in Gloucester in 1894 by Harry Owen Roberts and his younger brother John Owen Roberts. Roberts Bros manufactured a vast range of products at their factory in Upton Street, Gloucester. The factory was built in 1902 and provided state-of-the-art workplace for the worforce of up to about 700 employees........". The company manufactured a huge range toys and games and some of the latter are often available on Ebay. A book about the company was published in 2003. The St Pancras jigsaw puzzle features several Midland 'Compound', 4-4-0 steam locomotives designed originally by Samuel Waite Johnson and updated by Richard Deeley. The locomotives/trains are static in the station with passengers and station staff prominent also.
The majestic St Pancras Station was completed for the Midland Railway (MR) in 1868. The railway had secured an Act of Parliament for the station five years previously - the site was adjacent to the Great Northern Railway’s Kings Cross Station. Before the new station was built the MR was using other London stations, particularly Euston, but had built its own London line from Bedford for the opening of St Pancras; the MR had become disillusioned with constant delays on lines into Euston. The 243ft span was exceptional for an interior and covered the magnificent trainshed of engineer William Barlow - the world’s largest enclosed space.
Waterloo Station was opened by the London & South Western Railway in 1848 as Waterloo Bridge Station comprising just four platforms and six tracks. It was built on an extension from Nine Elms Station which was the L&SWR London terminus. The station was extended in 1860, 1878 and 1885. In 1886 it was named Waterloo Station but the three earlier extensions had ceated total chaos for passengers resulting from eighteen platforms and only ten platform numbers. The terminus was completely rebuilt by the same railway company between 1900 and 1922 into a new, twenty-one platform station, opened by Queen Mary on 21st March 1922.